With the boom in sportives in recent years Medway Velo riders have taken the opportunity to take part in a wide range of these non competitive but still challenging events as well as organising their own Kent Air Ambulance Ride in late August.
Medway Velo has many members who take part in sportives and in recent years they represented the club in events as diverse as travelling abroad to the Paris-Roubaix challenge, Ronde Van Vlaanderen cyclo, Morzine Haut Chablis and Ronde Picardie as well as riding throughout Britain in the Ride London 100, Peak District Punisher, the Dragon ride and locally in the Tour of the Weald and the Lord Whiskey.
Air Ambulance Ride
Each year Medway Velo organises their own the sportive over 100km, the Air Ambulance ride.
- Remember its not a race.
- Obey the highway code and road traffic law.
- Have kit to deal with basic mechanicals.
- Point out hazards and road furniture.
- Let the group know if you are slowing.
- Slow down for horses.
- Ride no more than two abreast.
- Communicate with other riders, particularly when overtaking, or when there is traffic ahead or behind.
- Be courteous.
- Never cross the white line, keep to the left side of the road.
- Don’t drop litter.
- Enjoy the experience.